Living in Spain

Healthcare for UK nationals living in Spain

We like to keep our clients new and old up to date on matters relating to Spain. A tip and useful source of information is to visit Healthcare for UK nationals living in Spain – GOV.UK (

The following is a short piece on healthcare

All residents in Spain need to register to access healthcare.

Once registered for healthcare, basic state services are free, but there are some things that patients need to pay for. For example, you usually have to pay something towards prescriptions – either a reduced price or the full price.

UK nationals usually access the Spanish national health system in one of these ways:

  • through entitlement to healthcare if they’re employed or self-employed in Spain
  • paying directly into the public health insurance scheme (Convenio Especial)
  • registering a UK-issued S1 form with the social security office
  • using a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) for temporary stays
  • through entitlement to healthcare as a permanent resident if they’ve lived in Spain for 5 years

For more information click on this link or for a 121 phone consultation ring Sue 07940913206 or Paul 07710 808932

Categories: Living in Spain

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.